Thursday, July 5, 2012

Thus Far

I know it's cheesy, but I really like the phrase "thus far". It sounds all proper and serious.

So I thought I'd let you all know how I'm doing with the half marathon training, since I've been asking for your donations and such quite a bit. But first let me explain what it is I am asking you to donate to.

Mountain Circle Family Services is a foster care and adoption program. They started doing this marathon and half marathon last year in order to raise more funds. They ask that the runners in these races set up a donation page so that people will sponsor them and all the money will go to MCFS. They do not require the runners to set up a donation page. I could have just paid my entry fee and called it good. But I have a giant love for little kids. And I feel like setting up a donation page gives me the chance to run for them. So I'm not just running for myself, and that has majorly helped keep me motivated. I've NEVER been the type to enjoy asking for stuff from people, especially money. But this is different. I ask for it for kids, and that's not difficult to do at all. So when I'm nagging on facebook for sponsors, that's what I'm asking for. You can sponsor me here.

Okay, progress "thus far".

I have made it up to 9 miles in my long runs. Technically I am 2 weeks ahead of my training schedule, and that's how I wanted it in case of minor set backs. Training is both easier and more difficult than I thought it would be. It's easier because running those long distances really isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I should probably wait to comment on that until I'm over 10 miles, but for now, things are okay. It's easier because I am hungry ALL THE TIME and am able to eat pretty much whatever I want without worrying too much about gaining the weight because a lot of my food intake is fueling my runs. Oh happy day. I will run for the rest of my life if it means eating whatever I want. And however much I want.


It's harder than I thought it would be because I am doing it alone and I have to keep myself on track. But as I mentioned, because I feel like I am running for a good cause, I am not struggling with the self-motivation thing as much as I might otherwise. It's harder because during the runs themselves, I often have thoughts such as, "my body hates me" and "I want to lie down" and "this cramp feels like I'm being kicked in the gut" and "I can't breathe"....you probably get it by now. It's harder because I have encountered several road blocks. The first was getting bad cramps. I have since kind of worked that out, but still get one or two a run. The second was getting huge blisters. I also worked that out, mainly by buying out the entire athletic tape, mole skin, and sock supply at both Walgreens and Scheels. The third problem I happened upon was foot pain, mainly in my left foot. I was on a short 3 mile run one day and right as I was finishing, a sharp pain shot through my foot and I could not keep running on it. So I rested it up for a few days and then started wearing my orthotics. That pretty much took care of the pain, but also made the blister issue worse. Good thing I already had supplies for that.
yeah.....

So yeah!! That is my running story so far. I know, pretty inspiring, right? Joking, joking. It's just a half marathon. If I ever tell any of you I am thinking of running a full, just high five me right in the face, k?

Peace and blessings!!


No comments:

Post a Comment