Sunday, March 27, 2011

Color fest- the only place where people shove a handful of powdered chalk into your face and you say "Thank you!" No Joke.

So, here's the story. On Thursday, my awesome friend from work, Rachel, tells me she is going to the festival of colors on Saturday. I asked her if that was the thing that I see pictures of on facebook of every one covered in a color mess of something, and she says yes. I had been curious as to what it was and wanting to go, but since I found out about it so close to when it was happening, I figured there would be no way I could drive three hours to make it to Spanish Fork this weekend. But throughout the day, I had a change of heart and adopted a new attitude.

Why the heck not?

Instead of sitting at home planning on accomplishing a lot of school work and really accomplishing very little, I decided to have some fun and not worry about time or what I had to do. So I texted all my roomies and other friends to  see who could go with me. Most everyone was busy, But Jessica S. had always wanted to go too, so we decided to make a day trip of  it and have some fun! We bought fresh white t-shirts at walmart, loaded up on snacks, and hit the road.

We met up with Hailey and Jessica for lunch at In n' Out in Draper. For those of you who don't know, Hailey and Jessica D. were our roommates last year. We had a good little catch up session. Then I got to visit my brother at his work in Provo for a few minutes, which was awesome cuz I love my brother! 

Then it was on to the festival of colors, where me and Jessica would officially become "cool". We had to park about a mile and a half away, there were SOOOOO many people! And all these people were walking back to their cars COVERED in colored chalk. Only capital letters will do justice to explain parts of this story.  As we were walking up, we got a few small doses of chalk thrown at us, so we didn't quite make it, but it was all good.  It was like for that one day, everyone was your best friend, it didn't matter who you threw chalk at. Sometimes I would take a handful of chalk and just pat someone on the face. Others would pat us on the back, and the more chalk you had on you, the cooler you became:) The Sri Sri Radha Krishna Temple where it took place was also quite neat. I had no idea something like that was hanging out there in Spanish Fork.

There was literally a cloud of chalk hovering over this crowd of hundreds of people, it was nuts!! It was so surreal, almost like an out of body experience. We took our pictures, made momentary friends, laughed at the craziness of it all, and loved every second of it!! Walking back to our car, people everywhere were wiping down with towels, changing clothes, just trying to de-chalkify before getting into their cars. The coolest part of it all was that there was no drinking, no partying (the bad type), every one was just having a good time! It was good "clean" fun.


Jess and I were so happy we went, we became cool because we now have pictures of ourselves at the color fest on facebook, and we just enjoyed being college girls on a mini adventure:) In case you want to learn more about the whole festival, look it up on this website.
http://www.utahvalley.com/events/details.aspx?id=1247


Cleaning up was another affair. None of my clothes were untouched, my ears were full of chalk. Never has blowing my nose been such a colorful occasion. I swear, I'll be blowing pink boogers for a month! Showering was also very brightly colored. When I finally washed and re-washed everything, it felt so nice to be clean!
 My pants.

 Jess cleaning up
But getting totally messy for one day, completely worth it!


Color-fest, something to experience!!

No comments:

Post a Comment