Friday, September 23, 2011

Mother of the Century Award


I don't know why, but I always get the strange desire to blog at 1 a.m.. This morning I have the best of reasons though.

Some of you know already, my mom is a GREAT cook. I mean, she is amazing. Everyone thinks that about their mothers, but really guys, I'm sorry, but my mom could cook-beat up your mom any day. That sounded better in my head. Anyway, she really is great, and being such a great cook, she spoils us all the time.

But, she has collected hundreds of recipes over the years, and has never had the time to put them into some kind of organized form. So I took on the task. Let me tell you guys, it was a little intimidating. I mean, look at all these recipes!!

So you can see why I might hesitate a little, right? I mean, this is a friggin' fat pile! I figured over three hundred are there. I started organizing. That part was pretty easy, mostly just had to decide what categories to put them into, salads, sides, meats, desserts, breads, asparagus's... (jk, she doesn't have a category for asparagus, who has THAT much time, really.) Got that done. Then I had to put them all in the plastic cover things... long story short it took about 5-6 hours total and here is the finished product.

Niiiiice, right??

All nice with tabs and everything.

Here I am, admiring my work, thinking how beautiful this big book of recipes is, and thinking I'm deserving a daughter of the year award ( my mom said she wanted to cry because she never thought these would be organized and she'd die and we would hold her pile of recipes up at her funeral) when something gradually started occurring to me. I could reorganize recipes for my mom for the rest of my life and it still wouldn't come close to paying her back for all she's done for me in the past 22 years. You guys, she used to drive me an hour BOTH WAYS to my piano lessons every week just so I could go to the best teacher in Northern Nevada. She did her best to be a stay at home mom so I and my siblings could be home-schooled if we wanted. She took me to Cedar City to look at the school I would attend. She took me to Salt Lake so I could pick out the grand piano she and my dad would buy. But most important, she listens to me and has my whole life. I know I can talk to my mom about anything. She has listened to me and all my issues, rantings, heart-pourings-out, my piano practicing, my every thought and concern and has showed love and concern and genuine interest always. I always joke that my mom is my shrink, and seriously, who can ask for a better shrink than someone who listens, loves, and gives kind words of advice and wisdom without pay??

So Mom, I'll gladly organize your recipes for the rest of my life =D Love you!

These are some pics from the rib cook-off. I went twice and tried five different ribs. My favorite place to get them was Porky and Beans. I was a VERY happy girl that weekend. Gabe and Dad and Sidney were pretty happy too ;)

Peace and blessings, y'all!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, some people are really lucky to have those kinds of moms, like you. And me, too! My mom cooks amazingly and she always makes new stuff.

    P.S. WHOLY-MOLLY YOU SHOULD SEE HOW MANY RECIPES WE OWN, THEN YOU COULD COMPARE! WE HAVE ABOUT THAT MANY RECIPES, JUST WRITTEN OUT BY HAND, AND WE HAVE 21 COOKBOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I TRIED TO ORGANIZE THEM, BY RE-TYPING THEM, BUT AS USUAL, I CAN'T READ MY MOM'S ELEGANT CURSIVE.... SO I FAILED.

    ReplyDelete