Monday, September 24, 2012

Lake Tahoe. ALWAYS fun.

Kids, did I ever tell you about the time me, your Aunt Kimmy and your Uncle Dwight went to Lake Tahoe? (I've been watching HIMYM)

It was June of 2012. Kimmy and I wanted to go to Tahoe soooooo bad and we finally had an open Saturday, so we reserved it for Tahoe. The day dawned sunny, but slightly chilly and windy down here in the valley. But we were still bound and determined to go to Tahoe, in spite of the foreboding weather conditions. We knew that any weather we had in Reno would be amplified times ten at Tahoe. But we headed up anyway with all our stuff and a big cooler of food. The group consisted of myself, Kimmy, Dwight, Conrad, Brad, Danny, Amy, and later on Rob and Dallin hit it up. Kimmy and I decided to be major optimists and not let the weather faze us whatsoever.

Upon arriving, we notice that the air is indeed a bit chilly, and the wind is a bit strong and biting. So we head out to the beach from the parking lot.

We get out there and the waves are HUGE. We are talking full on ocean surf, loud crashing noises, foam hitting our faces.... and it's so windy that we can't even hear each other talking. And Dwight, man do I wish I had a picture of his face. You know how when little babies go into sunlight, and they aren't quite used to it, so their eyes are kinda squinty and their nose is wrinkled up? That was totally Dwight's face. And Kimmy yelled something at me and I yelled back, "WHAT???" Because we couldn't hear each other talk. So the big beach wasn't going to work for us so we head to the little beach hoping that in the cove, the wind might not be as bad and the waves not as huge. We get over there and that was indeed the case, though it is still very windy and the waves are definitely not baby waves.

It was only about 63 degrees outside at this point, but we always HAVE to get in the water at least once. So Amy, myself, Conrad and Danny summon up the courage to jump in. Later on, I learned that when it is windy, Tahoe feels extra cold because all the deep water that never gets warmed up by the sun is stirred up to the surface, causing it to feel even more frigid than it usually does. We did not know this at the time, so we all just jumped in without a moments' hesitation. It was freezing. Took my breath away instantly and I jumped back out without staying in for more than 30 seconds. We all get out and try to get warm. The only way that was possibly was to lie down and stay under the wind. Which was deceptive because we would be laying there and start feeling like it was a little warmer and the wind wasn't too bad, but as soon as we tried to get back up, it would hit us full force and we would lie back down again very promptly.

So kids, that's how our first trip to Tahoe in summer of 2012 went. Kimmy and I couldn't stop laughing at the fact that we picked the single most horrible day to take a trip there that year. But as I said in the title of this post, Tahoe is ALWAYS fun, no matter what. I wish I had pictures of that trip, but my fingers were probably too cold to use a camera. Ahhh, good memories though.

Peace and Blessings!!

(Side note. I realize that I switch tenses a lot and my grammar is probably atrocious. This doesn't worry me too much, if it did, I probably wouldn't write a blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment